The aroma of gujiyas frying, the smattering of bright-colored rangolis on your doorstep, long winding home cleaning sessions, reupholstering the sofa, packing gifts for friends, endless bouts of entertaining; festivals bring with them a lot of celebration and good cheer but also a horde of added family obligations and responsibilities, leaving you stressed and exhausted. In our pursuit of creating a beautiful festive time for our loved ones, we forget to take care of our most important participant: our own well-being.
It’s a good practice to make a conscious effort to carve out time for some much-needed self-care. Self-care is vital to revive and replenish your physical, emotional, and mental reserves to prevent and manage stress. Also taking time out for yourself is not only a good way to make you feel good about yourself, but also remind others that you and your needs are important. Also, if you are not your best physically and mentally, how can you care for others?
Any activity that can help you feel more relaxed, centred, and mindful can be part of your self-care arsenal.
Here are 10 self-care tips that will help you reduce your stress this festival season.
1. Start your day with a gentle cleanse - How we start our morning decides the tone for the rest of the day. Begin on a refreshing and cleansing note to jumpstart your metabolism to recharge and energize you.
Sip an invigorating cup of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Green Tea Classic with a spoonful of ORGANIC INDIA Multi Floral Forest honey. Tulsi and green tea bring you a host of benefits. Packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants, this refreshing beverage protects the body from free radicals while promoting healthy metabolism.
The ORGANIC INDIA Multi Floral Forest honey, sustainably collected from Himalayan forests, is replete with healthful minerals and nutrients and is great for imparting that extra dose of energy in every cup, helping you start the day with a bang!
2. Consume a wholesome, natural diet - Foods consumed in their natural, whole, and organic state are vital for building a strong body and mind, helping you beat stress effectively. Festival time means foods loaded with unhealthy sugars and fats. So the thing to do is ensure your home meals and sweets are as healthy and nutritious as possible. Simple ingredient changes are an effective way to ensure this.
Replace white sugar with ORGANIC INDIA Organic Jaggery Powder or ORGANIC INDIA Multi Floral Forest honey; Basmati rice with ORGANIC INDIA Organic Basmati Rice; regular cooking oils with the natural goodness of ORGANIC INDIA - ORGANIC COW GHEE (remember, a little goes a long way) can significantly up the nutrient quotient of your food while keeping it flavourful and delicious and not taking away from the fun.
3. Set boundaries – Many of us find it difficult to say “no” and end up taking on too much. Such an approach invariably leads to chronic exhaustion and stress. Instead of instinctively saying yes" to new responsibilities, try choosing a different default response such as, “Let me get back to you on it” or “I’ll need some time to decide” to calmly consider and decide your response to the request.
4. Take a soothing head massage – Body oil massages and the popular champi head massage have been an integral part of our ancient self-care rituals. Try taking a few minutes this week to indulge in a 20-minute ritual head massage to help you unwind and relax.
Enhance relaxation with ORGANIC INDIA KURE Hair Vitality Oil Bhringraj. A combination of strokes like gentle chopping action with the edge of your hands, working tiny circles around the base of your skull, or tapping your scalp with fingertips can help relieve tension. Plus the nourishing goodness of ORGANIC INDIA KURE Hair Vitality Oil Bhringraj infused with the strengthening benefits of Bhringraj and other herbs, antioxidant seed oils, and pure essential oils, is said to benefit blood circulation and promote hair growth. And most of all, helps you de-stress!
5. Take care of your digestion – A strong and healthy digestive system is critical to vital nutrient absorption by the body and strengthening your body’s natural defences against stress and disease. Many of us are not aware that 70% of our immune system is actually in our digestive tract. A diet rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs is vital for a healthy digestive system. Additionally pairing your diet with ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Ginger Turmeric tea is known to be good for the liver, and likely to keep stressful infections at bay. Savour a cup after your meals or anytime during the day for a refreshing and relaxing break.
6. Pamper your skin – Our skin is the largest organ in the body and often the most ignored when it comes to nutrition. Soaking in a hot bath, indulging in a good body scrub and massage, or nourishing your skin with herbal oils is a great way to renew and replenish your skin.
Indulge in an invigorating ORGANIC INDIA Facial Ubtan Cleanser Amla & Aloe Vera face cleanse, to draw out impurities and de-stress your skin. Follow it up with a relaxing massage with the fragrant ORGANIC INDIA KURE Facial Serum Hydrating Rose to help renew and restore your delicate facial skin. Don't forget to make the most of the brightening properties of ORGANIC INDIA KURE Kumkumadhi Brightening Facial oil to reduce uneven pigmentation and repair blemishes to look your beautiful and radiant best this festival season.
7. Practise some quiet time – Spending some quiet time meditating, going for a walk, or indulging in hobbies such as painting or writing your journal can be a great technique to calm your mind and relax your body.
8. Take frequent breaks – Sometimes just taking 10 minutes out in the middle of a hectic day to do something different – could be a spot of yoga, deep breathing – helps to de-stress. And while you’re on your break, you might want to dab on some ORGANIC INDIA CALM Essential Oil on your pulse points. Infused with the calming properties of lavender and other essential oils, ORGANIC INDIA CALM Essential Oil can help you relax and uplift your mood.
9. Delegate – Many of our daily stresses can be avoided or lessened if we learn to delegate and share our responsibilities. Allowing your children to help you in cleaning the house; asking your spouse to take over the responsibility of cleaning the old unused items from the storeroom; or hiring a home cleaning service to refresh your house will leave you with some much-needed downtime to relax and rewind.
10. Get adequate sleep – The lack of sleep has a vital impact on our emotional and physical health. But stress and other distractions can wreak havoc on our sleep. It's important to create a regular and consistent night routine to ensure quality sleep.
Restricting caffeine-rich drinks such as coffee close to bedtime, avoiding blue light-emitting devices such as phones, laptops, and TV screens at least an hour before sleeping, installing room darkening curtains, or relaxing with a cup of caffeine-free ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Honey Chamomile Tea, can be a great way to unwind and ease into your night-time routine. The strong immunity-building properties of “The Queen of Herbs”, Tulsi blended with the relaxing properties of Chamomile flowers, and the gentle sweetness of honey is a great drink to incorporate into your pre-bed ritual.
No matter which or how many approaches you choose, the goal of self-care practice is to take some time away from your normal schedule to do something restorative and joyful just for yourself. Installing these practices in your regular routine can allow your body to bounce back from the stresses of daily life to come back refreshed and thrive. So start now, and make this festive season truly meaningful.
“No content on this site should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified medical expert.”