As we stay home to combat the current health crisis, it’s important to take this time to focus on our overall health and immunity. Our immune system requires balance and harmony to function well and making healthy, conscious choices is a great way to keeping it strong and resistant to illness and disease.
Strengthen your immunity naturally with the following strategies:
- Drink lemon, honey, ginger, and turmeric with warm water. This magic drink isn’t just a remedy for colds. It’s also the perfect drink to give your immunity the extra boost it needs during times of stress.
- Eat citrus fruits. Citrus fruits such as oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruits, amla and tangerines are loaded with Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant that is essential for the growth, development, and repair of body tissues.
- Use herbs in the daily life. Fresh herbs not only add flavor without calories, they may also serve up health benefits as healing foods. It is good to use herbs like ashwangandha, ginger, turmeric, tulsi etc. in regular diet.
- Drink green tea. The polyphenols in green tea are micronutrients packed with antioxidants, giving green tea its unique immunity-boosting properties. Get the most out of your cup of green teas by choosing organically grown green teas.
- Snack on nuts and seeds. Include almonds, dates, apricots, walnuts, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, and pine nuts for their richness in immunity-boosting Omega 3, Zinc, and Magnesium.
- Make regular exercise a priority. It’s no secret that regular physical activity helps improve cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight, and protects against a variety of diseases. Exercise is also known to boost mood and reduce overall stress.
- Get adequate sleep. Sleep is our body’s time to recharge and skimping on it has an adverse effect on your immune system. Practice good sleep hygiene including waking up and going to bed at the same time every day, avoiding caffeine before bedtime, and establishing a relaxing evening routine.
- Deepen social connections. Loneliness and social isolation can prove to be detrimental to both mental and physical health. Take the time to strengthen social ties, call friends and family regularly, and make plans to get together in person.
- Laugh more & Look on the bright side. Optimism doesn’t only boost your mood; it also boosts your immunity. It’s fun to share a good laugh–but laughter is also an excellent way to boost your immune system. Laughter helps release endorphins, increases blood flow, lowers stress hormones, relaxes the body, and eases anxiety and tension.
- Soak up some morning sun. There’s good reason why Vitamin D is called the sunshine vitamin. The sun’s UVB rays provide the energy for Vitamin D synthesis to occur in our bodies. Optimum Vitamin D levels are known to have a positive impact on bone health and overall immunity.