The clock is the perfect metaphor for human beings. All systems within the clock have to coordinate to ensure it ticks to the perfect time. Similarly, every aspect of the human condition is co-related and must function harmoniously to ensure true wellness.
This, in a nutshell, is what Holistic Immunity is about.
4 PILLARS OF HOLISTIC IMMUNITY
Holistic immunity for human beings translates to the connectivity and wellbeing of the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Physical wellbeing is easily understood. How do other aspects matter? The simple scientific explanation is that thoughts and feelings trigger your brain to activate the ‘fight or flight’ response which in turn results in the release of chemicals such as adrenalin and cortisol associated with stress. Research connects the dots to firmly establish how stress weakens the immune system. This in turn makes one vulnerable to all ails.
You know what you need to boost holistic immunity (read the 10 commandments in an earlier blog here itself) but the information overload may be overwhelming. Here’s a simple approach.
- Buy into the idea fully. Here’s why: You are likely to have a long life so it’s critical that quality of life be maintained. Holistic immunity is the first step to achieve this.
- Rate yourself on a scale of 10 (10 being the highest) on the 4 pillars of holistic immunity - good eating & hydrating, sleep, exercise, positive thinking.
- Start with trying to ‘pull up’ the pillar you score the lowest on. For instance, if you’re 2 on ‘good eating’ – take baby steps to improve your daily diet. (Note: Do not try to replace chocolate with quinoa. Be realistic).
- Don’t tackle all fronts at one go. By the end of a week, aim to improve scores on all fronts – not fret if it’s marginal.
- Keep up the good work, and pause to savour the benefits that are bound to accrue: upbeat mood, more energy, ability to tackle problems, dropping excess baggage, glowing skin – to name a few.
- Don’t beat yourself up when you slip; just realign and gently bring yourself back on track.